Los Angeles Unified School District/Board of Education Logo LAUSD Human Resources Division
Teacher Application Process - Applicants from Foreign Countries
Teacher with Students Outside
Home Why Teach in L.A.? Why Teach in L.A.? Application ProcessCredentialed / LicensedNon-CredentialedForeign ApplicantsOther LAUSD EmploymentCurrent Employees HR Offices Current Employees Application Process HR Forms

Due to the current budget uncertainties, the District is temporarily suspending foreign recruitment. Please check this website periodically.

Los Angeles Unified School District Policy Regarding Sponsorship for Work Authorization for Teacher Candidates / Support Service Providers from other Countries:

Interested fully licensed / certified Math, Science, Special Education Teachers and Speech Language Pathologists from other countries are invited to submit a Los Angeles Unified School District online application. Out of country candidates must have completed a preparation program, which includes a practicum / student teaching in their subject field, and be fully certified in their home country to be considered. Foreign applicants must also be eligible and qualify for a California Preliminary or Professional Clear credential / license in Math, Science or one of the Special Education subject fields. A detailed foreign transcript evaluation is required to make this determination, and must be submitted and reviewed prior to an out of country applicant being scheduled for an interview.

Additionally, in order to secure an interview with Los Angeles Unified School District, candidates from other countries will need to have passed either the State of California's CBEST or the District's "Mini-CBEST." Foreign applicants are able to take the "Mini-CBEST" if they have not taken the regular CBEST, or if they have not yet received the results since taking the regular CBEST. Out of country candidates must pass the regular CBEST, if they are not successful in passing the District's "Mini-CBEST," before they can be scheduled for an interview.

Out of country teacher applicants must also meet additional Los Angeles Unified School District employment requirements to be considered for employment and work sponsorship. These include, but are not limited to, recent work in their field, strong letters of recommendation covering the past three years of employment, fingerprint clearances, tuberculosis testing and a complete physical examination, as well as a personal qualities interview. Candidates who demonstrate superior professional competence and exemplary personal qualifications may be given the opportunity to teach / provide service to Los Angeles Unified School District students.

Los Angeles Unified School District is currently interviewing credentialed, out of country Math, Science and Special Education applicants. The Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services will be issuing H1-B Visas, with an effective date of October 1, 2010. The District will begin to request work authorization for successful candidates beginning April 1, 2010 until the quota of visas is exhausted.

This information is provided for the convenience of potential foreign teacher / support service provider applicants who may be seeking employment. Please note that the Los Angeles Unified School District is not responsible for any fees associated with any organizations listed below. Additionally, out of country candidates are advised that under no circumstances is the District able to consider any candidates involved with a local or foreign employment agency. District policy prohibits such candidates from being considered for hiring and work sponsorship.

Foreign Transcript Evaluation:

Individuals who have completed college or university course work at an institution in a country other than the United States must obtain a complete evaluation of foreign transcripts, degrees* and other relevant documents prior to applying to the Los Angeles Unified School District. A detailed, course-by-course, foreign transcript evaluation is required any time foreign course work is used to meet any credential requirement, even if the foreign course work has been accepted by a college or university in the United States.

Foreign transcripts must be evaluated by one of the approved organizations listed below in order to be accepted by the Commission. These organizations are private enterprises who charge a fee for their services. Individuals seeking a foreign transcript evaluation must follow the procedures outlined by the organization providing the evaluation. In all instances, original, official documentation will be required when requesting the evaluation.

*The bachelor's degree requirement for California certification refers to the equivalent of a four-year (or more) college-level program. Individuals who obtained a credential or teaching certificate in a jurisdiction outside of the United States should also submit a photocopy of that document to the evaluating agency.


Academic & Professional International Evaluations, Inc.
P.O. Box 5787
Los Alamitos, CA 90721-5787
(562) 594-6498
Web Site: http://www.apie.org


It is very important that you provide complete and accurate information and follow the direction in their packet.

Academic Credntials Evaluation Institute
P.O. Box 6908
Beverly Hills, CA 90212
(310) 275-3530
(800) 234-1597
Fax: (310) 275-3528
Web site: www.acei1.com


Request a comprehensive report. It is very important that you provide complete and accurate information and follow the direction in their packet.

Academic & Credential Records, Evaluation & Verification Services (ACREVS)
1776 Clear Lake Avenue
Milpitas, California 95035-7014
(866) 583-4834 Toll Free
(408) 719-0015
Email: info@acrevs.com
Website: http://www.acrevs.com


American Education Research Corpoation
P.O. Box 996
West Covina, CA 91793-0996
(626) 339-4404
Fax: (626) 339-9081
Website: http://www.aerc-eval.com


It is very important that you provide complete and accurate information and follow the direction in their packet.

Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc.
P.O. Box 514070
Milwaukee, WI 53203-3470
(414) 289-3400
Fax: (414) 289-3411
E-mail: eval@ece.org
Website: http://www.ece.org


Applications available from ECE or ECE's internet homepage.

Educational Records Evaluation Service
601 University Ave., Suite 127
Sacramento, CA 95825
(866) 411-3737
(916) 921-0790
Fax: (916) 921-0793
E-mail: edu@eres.com
Website: http://www.eres.com


Please follow the instructions on ERES application and fee schedule, which are available by writing or calling ERES.

Institute for International Credentials Evaluations at California State Univeristy, Fresno
5150 North Maple Avenue, M/S JA56
At California State University, Fresno
Fresno, CA 93740-8026
(559) 278-7622
Fax: (559) 278-7879
Email: credeval@iicecsufresno.net
Website: http://www.csufresno.edu/issp/home/index.shtml


It is very important that you provide complete and accurate information to IICE and to follow the directions in their application packet.

International Education Research Foundation, Inc. Credentiasl Evaluation Service
P.O. Box 3665
Culver City, CA 90231-3665
(310) 258-9451
Fax: (310) 342-7086
E-Mail: info@ierf.org
Website: http://www.ierf.org


Request a Detailed Report. On an IERF’s application, Section 2, please check the following:

1. Professional Licensing/Certification.
Field: Teaching
State: CA

World Education Services (WES)
P.O. Box 5087
Bowling Green Station
New York, NY 10274-5087
Phone: (212) 966-6311
Fax: (212) 739-6239
Email: info@wes.org
Website: http://www.wes.org


WES - San Francisco Regional Office
Phone: (415) 677-9378
Fax: (415) 677-9333
Email: sf@wes.org


When utilizing World Education Services, you must indicate on their application that the evaluation is for a California teaching credential or permit.

PURPOSE OF EVALUATION (Check appropriate boxes)

Field: Teacher Education
State: California

Additional Information

All of the listed evaluation agencies offer rush services at an additional cost. Contact the agency for more
information on fees and other requirements for the evaluation.

If you are seeking a credential to teach in the public schools of California, refer to the leaflets below for specific
requirements for teachers prepared outside of the United States.

• Elementary Teaching (Multiple Subject Teaching Credential) (CL-871)
• Secondary Teaching (Single Subject Teaching Credential) (CL-870)
• Special Education Teaching (Education Specialist Instruction Teaching Credential) (CL-872)
• Day-to-Day Substitute Teaching (Emergency 30-Day Substitute Teaching Permits) (CL-505P)
• All Other Teaching – visit the Commission’s website at http://www.ctc.ca.gov

LAUSD logo